A visit from Jesse and a delicious recipe for black bean burgers with cherry mostarda.
If you know Jesse and I, you know we love each other, and we love food. So what was the almost first thing we did upon being reunited? I surprised Jesse with ingredients for us to cook a meal together: sweet potato hush puppies, steamed broccoli, and burgers (fennel falafel for me, meat for him) with cherry mostarda and bacon. The first words out of Jesse’s mouth were “oh wow.”
Since that meal, we have been running around Sacramento to all sorts of new restaurants (like Andy Nguyen’s) and old favorites (AKA The Porch), however that first meal is still on my mind. This tart yet sweet and tangy mostarda goes on everything from fennel falafel burgers, to black bean burgers, and meat for your non vegan friends. Jesse even mixed some up with a salad and said it was divine. It only takes a few minutes to make, and will be gone just as fast! Some things just happen to be short and sweet, from food to visits with loved ones. But remember, there can always be a next time!
This week in updates: I love buying people vegan cake!
Multiple grocery stops! Ignore the cake. Surprises for friends and all that!
Recipe: Black bean burgers with cherry mostarda
Makes 7-9 patties and 1 cup of mostarda. The ingredients up to the olive oil are for the burgers. The ingredients from the olive oil down are for the mostarda.
- 2 cups dried black beans
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 large sweet potato
- 3 tbs oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 onion diced and sauteed
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbs whole grain mustard
- 1 cup dried sour cherries
- 1/2 cup water
- For the burgers
- Cook the black beans, rice, and bake the potato
- Saute the onion until soft and translucent
- Combine all ingredients together, mash and mix
- Make into patties and place on a greased pan
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes on each side or until down side is golden brown
- For the mostarda
- Sautee the shallot and garlic together, until the shallot is translucent.
- Mix in all other ingredients, it might look a little strange, but trust!
- Saute for 5-10 minutes on medium heat.