Okay, so the benefit of blogging more often is that I get to really experiment with recipes. This one was for Jesse and I meeting up with his sister for “fakegiving:” a prelude before the real event. That being said, I had to cook to impress these skeptical non vegans! Thus, I pulled out all the stops for this butternut truffle bacon vegan mac and cheese, combining what I’ve learned about fresh savory and truffle salt, with moxerella cheese and, of course, coconut bacon. The reception was at first skeptical, then enthusiastic! For this recipe, you should refer to minimalist bakers incredibly awesome vegan coconut bacon recipe! It’s easy and dresses up any dish.
For another level of awesome, try adding easy vegan bread crumbs. Mix together 1/4 cup almond flour and 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast with salt and smoked paprika to taste. Easy and adds that little extra something!
And as always, if this recipe is not to your liking, check out our recipe page. Perhaps our cheap and easy pasta section specifically!
While this vegan mac and cheese contains a few high end ingredients (fresh savory and truffle salt) this vegan mac is completely worth it! Flavorful, creamy, and just the right amount of complicated, this is a fall dish you should share, but will not want to! I recommend serving with a chick pea based pasta, to make this a protein full and healthy vegan meal.
- 1 box vegan pasta
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 3/8 tsp truffle salt
- 1 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbs nutritional yeast
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1/2 cup pureed or canned butternut squash
- 1/4 cup soaked cashews
- 1 cup hot water
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 recipe coconut bacon
- A few sprigs of fresh savory
- Cook the pasta el dente and set aside.
- Combine all other sauce ingredients in a food processor (so not the coconut bacon or fresh savory) and process until smooth.
- Cook sauce on medium to high heat until it thickens.
- Add pasta and cook a few minutes more, to ensure even heat.
- Top with coconut bacon and fresh savory.