The inspiration for these cupcakes came from Albuquerque. It was during my epic Amtrak trip, and I was correspondingly super stoked and super tired… basically overstimulated. I found a very cute little coffee shop, sat down, and ordered a vegan version of their daily special. That daily special just happened to be a lavender matcha latte.
It was perfect. The lavender was sweet and calming, the matcha earthy and rich, and one cup had just the right amount of caffeine to make me feel ready to take on the world once again. Everything was new and bright and good. What better flavor of cupcake to try out for my first day of second semester classes?
The cupcakes turned were fantastic. The frosting is lavender, the cupcakes flavored with real matcha, a favorite technique of mine that lets the flavor evolve as you chew. The purple sprinkles add just the right visual touch too, letting people know what to expect before they take a bite!
As for me, those cupcakes were needed. There is something to absolutely hate about the quarter system. By the time you figure out your new schedule and new standards, it’s final projects and finals time. You’d think after various high stress military situations, college would be a piece of cake! Or a cupcake. But as I have learned, new things are new things. Learning can be challenging, even when you love what you are learning. I’m just lucky to have the supportive husband that I do, our wonderful cozy little apartment, my gym membership, and my library card. Oh, and my dreams of baking projects to come! Such as my experiments with chocolate spelt cake, and the long over due black forest cake. Hoping for a frosting kit for valentines day (hint!) so I can do more than basic frosting. Maybe some day the p3bgirl will actually make some money with these baking adventures of hers, like custom vegan wedding cakes. Big dreams. Let’s get some more homework done first!
This is the perfect combination. The lavender is sweet and calming, the matcha earthy and rich, and with real matcha, these babies are caffeinated! If you love matcha lattes, these are the cupcakes for you.
- For the cake:
- 1 and 3/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Ripple (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbs real matcha
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil/canola oil, or other lightly flavored vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- For the Frosting:
- 2 tbs purple sprinkles
- 4 tablespoons ground culinary lavender or more to taste
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup coconut oil (solid)
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease cupcake pan.
- To make the cake, separate dry ingredients and wet ingredients into their own individual bowls. Mix.
- Combine all ingredients together, and pour into cupcake pan.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until fork can be inserted and comes out clean.
- For the frosting, blend all ingredients together except for the sprinkles.
- Let sit at room temperature until thick, but still malleable.
- Frost your cupcakes and cover with purple sprinkles.